Skip to main content

Martin O'Neill shuts down Tony Bloom accusation in response to unproven statement

Martin O'Neill has spoken out after Tony Bloom repeated the rumour that Hearts players were attacked by Celtic fans on the final day of the season.
Celtic Training Session - Lennoxtown Training Ground - Thursday May 21st
Celtic Training Session - Lennoxtown Training Ground - Thursday May 21st | Andrew Milligan - PA Images/GettyImages

Martin O'Neill has responded to Hearts' claims that some of their players were physically assaulted on the final day of the season at Celtic Park, with the manager singling out 29%-stakeholder Tony Bloom.

On Wednesday, Bloom and Hearts released a second statement about the pitch invasion at Parkhead, saying that they have written to the SFA and the SPFL over concerns that the whistle was blown early. Although they couldn't have done anything in the time that was left, they are desperately trying to clutch at straws, and they went as far as to brand O'Neill's comments defending supporters as 'highly irresponsible'.

It is incredibly irresponsible to claim that assaults took place when there is no evidence, but Hearts have done it anyway, with Bloom pushing the allegation. Now, the Celtic manager has responded.

Speaking in a pre-match press conference before Saturday's Scottish Cup final, he said: "Tony Bloom has had some reflections himself to Jim, and he said that two of their players were assaulted.

"If that’s the case, then obviously that would be a deep apology from all of us at Celtic Park. That has not been proved. That hasn’t been proved, and that’s a fairly severe allegation, so that’s not been proved.

"If it is eventually proved and there’s been a lot of searching around over videos and things like this here, then obviously that would be very serious indeed, but he did use the word assault, and that hasn’t been proved yet."

O'Neill won't stand down, but Hearts keep fighting their corner

O'Neill is standing strong in the position that Hoops fans didn't do anything wrong, and he has every right to. Until there is public evidence of 'assaults' that took place, then we need to accept reality.

As previously highlighted, there is footage of a Hearts player stomping on a Celtic fan's phone, with their captain, Lawrence Shankland, spotted putting his hands on another supporter. I think that we all want this to be over because we're just repeating ourselves, but as long as they spread their narrative, it's only right for people to call it out.

There is a dangerous precedent being set that referees are fair game to completely attack. While we are allowed to call out wrong decisions, people have gone as far as to reveal the personal details of John Beaton after he awarded Celtic a last-minute penalty in the Motherwell match. He had to be placed under police protection, and we can only pray that we won't see a repeat of this next season.

Add us as a preferred source on Google

Loading recommendations... Please wait while we load personalized content recommendations